Saturday, February 19, 2005

UPDATED: Random notes on a cold, sunny Saturday

* Funny blogger Jim Treacher defends the honor of Napoleon Dynamite after the film was attacked by Roger Ebert. At least, that was my initial take on it, and then I read the following comment:



I was going to link to this post with a remark that you had managed to simultaneously defend the movie and write a perfect parody of an obsessive film fan's rant but I realized that that would spoil the whole thing, so I didn't.


The wife and I saw Napoleon the other week at the dollar theater, and we're still throwing out lines from it: "You got like three feet of air!" "Sweet jumps!" "My lips hurt real bad."

I've been overhearing a lot of other people doing the same thing.

I thought the movie was pretty funny in a quirky way, but it didn't change my life or anything. Now, Shaun of the Dead or Team America: World Police? To me, they're much funnier, but they don't have those memorable lines.

OK, the Susan Sarandon puppet screaming "You will die a peasant's death" was pretty memorable in Team America. As was the theme song, which some wiseacre has turned into a hilarious music video here. (WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!!!)

Anyway, if you need a Nap-quote fix, go here.

* When I was a kid, I absolutely loved MAD magazine. I used to buy the then-current issues, and I also loved the old paperback collections of the original MADs from the 1950s. (They were always dropping in words like "fershlugginer" into the text.) If you're an old MAD fan, check out this collection of MAD covers.

No comments: