Friday, February 27, 2004

Bowden officially signs contract extension

It took him a while after the end of the season, but Clemson coach Tommy Bowden has put his name on a contract extension that will keep him at the school through the 2010 season.

MORE ON SALARIES: The Anderson Independent-Mail has its version of the pay-raise story.

THE FRIDAY FIVE: OK, they don't have one this week for some reason, but here's an old one:

1. Who is your favorite singer/musician? Why?
I don't really have one all-time favorite, but a short list would include The Who, Randy Newman, Prince, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Ryan Adams, Nick Lowe, The Allman Brothers, and probably a few others.

2. What one singer/musician can you not stand? Why?
That would be an equally long list.

3. If your favorite singer wasn't in the music business, do you think you would still like him/her as a person?
Stupid question. Uh, sure, I guess.

4. Have you been to any concerts? If yes, who put on the best show?
Been to a few. Jimmy Buffett was really, really good, and a Little Feat show in Wilmington, N.C., was memorable, too. I've also seen The Eagles (at Death Valley), Eric Clapton, ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Counting Crows with John Mayer, Mary Chapin Carpenter (very good show), and several others, including R&B group Cameo a couple of times when I was in high school.

But I think the best concert/show I've seen was The BoDeans at a now-defunct music club in Asheville, N.C., called Be Here Now. I wasn't really familiar with them, but I became an instant fan. They put on a tremendous show.

5. What are your thoughts on downloading free music online vs. purchasing albums? Do you feel the RIAA is right in its pursuit to stop people from dowloading free music?
I think the RIAA should pursue people who steal music, but I'm also worried that some of their efforts could infringe on people's privacy too much.

No comments: