Friday, February 25, 2005

Former receiver Crosby not eligible for baseball bonuses

The saga goes on. Major League Baseball has ruled that former Clemson standout Roscoe Crosby is not owed $750,000 in signing bonuses from the Kansas City Royals.

What else can go wrong for this guy? He's been severely injured, lost his best friends in an automobile accident, dropped out of college, and now he won't be getting paid. It's like a Greek tragedy or something.

Crosby, however, remains optimistic. He says he's going to an NFL tryout in Columbia. Maybe he can sign with a team. God knows he's got tremendous potential.

Good luck, Roscoe.

FOOTBALL ONLY FOR HILL, GADDIS: Clemson football players Tye Hill and C.J. Gaddis, who also compete in track & field and baseball, respectively, say they'll be focusing exclusively on football. At least for a while; Gaddis could come back to the diamond after spring football practice, which begins March 12 and ends with the Spring Game on April 16.

CURRIE'S DIARY: Former Clemson receiver Airese Currie has the second entry in his NFL Combine diary. Check it out.

WESTZONE UPDATE: Construction is proceeding apace. Here are some photos.

THE FRIDAY FIVE: OK, here goes:

1.) If you were in a band (you know, a successful one...), and you HAD to remake an old song, what band/song would you choose and why?
OK, this is a weird choice, but I would like to hear someone do a really loud, kick-ass version of the Monkees' "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone." (Heck, there's probably one out there somewhere.) I saw a band at a bar in Charlotte one time that did an amazing version of this, and I've never forgotten it.
2.) If you were a Make-a-Wish child, what would you wish for (and why)?
Well, a cure for the disease, first of all. Barring that, a trip to a strip club for one final lapdance!
3.) If you had the chance to learn when you were going to die, would you take it? Would you tell anyone if you knew (either your date of death or theirs)?
No, I would not. And I wouldn't tell anyone their death date, either.
4.) If you couldn't die until you helped someone, would you rather live forever selfishly or die earlier?
That's just a stupid question. I'm afraid I can't really answer that. Who really WANTS to die? I mean, I suppose after a thousand years life might get a little boring, but come on. The whole premise is a bit ridiculous: "I must find release from this brutish existence, but I can't until I give a homeless guy a cookie." I mean, there's a whole lot left out of this question. Is my never-ending life fantastic, or does it suck? If it's a non-stop orgy/smorgasbord/open bar and I'M NEVER GOING TO DIE, why SHOULD I help someone and check out? On the other hand, if I'm forced to live as a consumptive ragpicker in Calcutta for a couple hundred years, I think I'll opt for the cookie giveaway, like, yesterday. Also, does everybody else in this fictitious situation have this eternal life/help somebody option, or is it just me? If it's just me, then the world won't really notice my selfishness that much, will it? If it's everybody else, then that changes things quite a bit. On the other hand, if "helping somebody" involves doing something substantial for a loved one, that changes things once again. Jeez. Could we please have simpler questions on the Friday Five? Or ones that don't veer from cover songs to deep philosophical puzzles?
5.) If there's any goal you haven't accomplished yet, what is it and what is stopping you?
Becoming a millionaire. Insufficient income/poor luck at the lottery.

No comments: