Thursday, October 28, 2004

N.C. State has a tough defense

This will be the second week in a row that the Tigers will be facing a highly ranked defensive unit.

STUDENT TROUBLES: Here's a story about the age-old campus conflict between athletes and non-athletes. When I was in school, we always cheered like hell for the players on the field and tried to not to get our asses kicked by them off the field. A lot of them were nice guys, but a lot of them were Class A jerks, too.

THE NOTEBOOKS: Here and here.

LATE-BREAKING RED SOX UPDATE: I almost forgot. On Wednesday night, the Boston Red Sox won the World Series. It's the team's first world title since 1918, and has effectively closed the books on a rather large cottage industry of writers, whiners and hangers-on who, for some perverse reason, enjoy being associated with these "beautiful losers" and their beautiful ballpark.

OK, in all seriousness, I'm glad the Sox won. It really is a great story. But the main reason for this update is to share a semi-Sox-related complaint I sent off to 7-Eleven, a trusted name in the convenience-store business. Here goes (my fiancee thinks this is best read in the voice of Ron White):

To: Whom it may concern

Re: Ridiculous denial of beer sale
I left my job in Tysons Corner (approximately 2 miles from the 7-Eleven in question) at about 11:45 and pulled into the store at 11:56 (that was according to the store's clock). I wanted to buy some beer so I could celebrate the Red Sox's historic victory in the World Series.
I was the only customer in the store at the time, and I stepped up to the counter to pay for the beer just as the clock rolled over to 11:58. However, the clerk informed me that I had to have the beer "off the premises" by midnight, and he refused to sell it to me.

I guess he thought he was quoting Virginia state law or something, but according to the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control's "Retail Licensee Guide," which can be viewed online at http://www.abc.state.va.us/enforce/LicGuide.pdf (note the section that begins on page 16, and especially the beer-sale-at-11:58 question on page 17), my transaction NEEDED TO BE COMPLETED by midnight. There is no language AT ALL about beer being "off the premises" by midnight. Unless this guy is unable to count change like a normal person (and I kind of doubt that, because he definitely had two eyes and two hands), I should have been out the door and in my car by 11:59. Easily.

Anyway, back to my story. After the clerk told me I had to have the beer "off the premises" by midnight, I showed him the $10 bill I was holding in my hand, noted that the clock read 11:58, and politely informed him that that would not be a problem. However, this genius had it in his head that it WOULD be a problem, refused to sell me the beer and yanked the six-pack off the counter. I asked if he was kidding. He said he wasn't. I wanted to make sure, so I once again asked if he was kidding. He again assured me he wasn't. (I'll give him a tiny bit of credit; he was polite and said he was sorry he was unable to sell me the beer.)

I left the store at 11:59, beerless, pissed off and with decidedly less goodwill toward 7-Eleven, Inc. It's not like he checked the register and saw that its internal clock would show a beer sale after midnight. (I've seen cash registers that won't allow alcohol to be sold at times that are illegal -- a little beeper goes off or something when you hit the beer/wine key at 12:01. Surely 7-Eleven, Inc., has such devices.) He just flat-out denied me a beer sale because he apparently didn't know the damn law.
Look, I'm a fairly easy-going guy. In most situations, I probably wouldn't have minded too much, but, Jesus, THE RED SOX HAD JUST WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!
The purpose of a convenience store is to be convenient, right? People pay $8.29 for a six-pack they can get for $5.89 at the grocery store because, oh, let's see: IT WOULD TAKE TOO LONG TO GET TO THE GROCERY STORE AND GO THROUGH THE CHECK-OUT LINE BEFORE MIDNIGHT!!
I'm not really looking for any restitution for this or anything. I just want to bring this troubling situation to your attention. Please let the people buy beer at 11:58 p.m. It's a win-win situation for everybody.

Thank you.

I haven't heard anything yet from 7-Eleven, but I'll let you know if they write back.

No comments: