Thursday, March 04, 2004

UPDATED at 4:36 p.m.

Coaching changes discussed on eve of spring practice

Clemson coach Tommy Bowden gives more detail about why former offensive coordinator Brad Scott became the offensive line coach. (Quarterbacks coach Mike O'Cain is now the offensive coordinator.)

Bowden said Scott's switch is not a demotion. He said Scott, when told he would coach offensive line, asked to be removed as offensive coordinator to reduce his workload. Bowden said Scott will continue to have input into offensive strategy.

"When I told Brad that I was going to move him to offensive line, he said, 'If I'm going to coach those five with additional responsibilities, it would be better if Mike would be coordinator,' " Bowden said. "Mike and I are calling plays, so from an organizational standpoint, it makes sense."



OK, makes sense to me. I guess it wasn't a demotion after all. My bad.

Just a reminder: spring football practice begins Saturday.

THE PALMETTO BOWL? It could happen. It would be played in Charleston and pit an ACC team against a Conference USA team. Hey, why not?

MORE ON HERRING: The Durham Herald-Sun has a story about N.C. State choosing Reggie Herring to be defensive coordinator. Herring was a longtime defensive coordinator at Clemson.

COLLEGE NICKNAMES: Here's a Web page that lists the team names for virtually every college in America. Check it out. I still love the Pittsburgh State Gorillas, but the Cal-Long Beach Dirtbags (that's the baseball team only) is right up there. (Link found via Tigernet's message board.)

No comments: